10 August 2014

my hUSband

It is
so late
too late
to salvage the Hesperus
or rename
our guiding star

yet

you are there
the compass`
always
dreaming the future
in twining ribbons
of nicotine, spoonfuls
of ice cream, forkfuls
of cake

all of my vices
are endured
by you
my excuses
acknowledged
my lies

and

I know
I pretend
not to know
what will disappoint you

I know

you

want

someone

I want
I struggle
to be someone
that measures up

(you are)

you imagine me
a better man
than I will
ever be
I know you
you are
a better man
than I will
ever be

it is so

it is early
the cradle rocks
and gently rolls
in morning's weary
waves

we are
washed up
on distant shores
we are
travelers together
nervous in new ports
excited too
new faces
we are jealous
of our own liberty
we can stay
up

all night

it is too late
and perhaps too early
to rename the Hesperus
or salvage
our guiding star.

No comments: